Thursday, December 9, 2010

Top 5 Books to Buy for Christmas

So this morning on the Talk Show with Phil Main I talked about my list of five books that would make great X-mas presents.... so I thought I would post them here as well. I have read some of these, some of them are on my wish list, but they would make great presents.
From the fiction shelf:



The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The storyline follows a group of black maids and their white ladies. They are maids and nannies in Mississippi in the 1960s. The story takes a turn when one of the "ladies" tries to help the maids.
This is a great book, I actually got it for a Birthday gift and I just flew through it. Buy this book for the lady in your life over 18.

Bonus: The movie is coming out next year starring Emma Stone.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
This story follow Jacob Jankowski, and old man in a nursing home who remembers his time in The Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth travelling circus. Great drama ensues when you become embroiled in the plot line.
The best part is that Sara Greun really went to all lengths to make sure that she made the story historically correct in regards to travelling circuses back in the day. She also based the book on the biblical story of Jacob in the Book of Genesis. I just love when authors take their time, work hard, and make a thoughtful, multi-layered book.
Bonus: This is now being made into a movie starring Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon.


From the Non-Fiction section (my favourite):



They Fight Like Children, They Die Like Children by Romeo Dallaire

I am so excited to get this book, one of my favourite books ever was Dallaire's Shake Hands with the Devil. He was of course the Canadian who was in charge of the UN Peacekeeping Mission in Rwanda during the genocide. So now he has come out with this book about his experience with and views on the use of child soldiers. He has made it his personal mission to eradicate the use of child soldiers world wide.
A big plus about Dallaire, he doesn't hold anything back. He says what he sees, what he knows, and what he thinks without fail. He is amazing.


Conversations with Myself by Nelson Mandela

There have been many books by Nelson Mandela out there but this one is being billed as one to watch for. It draws on an archive of his personal papers in his private life through the years. I have seen it described as "unhindered" and "unprecedented"... plus I love auto-biographies.

Bonus: a foreword by Barack Obama


For the younger folk:



This is super exciting... they have just come out with a new box set of Roald Dahl books. They picked out his top 15 kids books and smashed them all together into a colourful box set for like $40-ish. These are the books that will get kids into reading... for life.

Included in the pack: Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Witches, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... and my fave.... Matilda. This would be an AWESOME gift... even for me. :)

oh... and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Your children's pick is the reason we are life-long friends.

    ReplyDelete