Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Fish and Some History Dish

I spent my first full day at school today. And not even in class! We had an assignment to blog for the school's website for tomorrow. So, for the first time I got to sit down at my own personal iMac and OFFICIALLY represent Salt. (I realize it is a silly concept to give a link on my blog to yet another blog I write for... but no matter... click here for the Salt blog)
After I sat down at the shiny wide screen I basically spent the whole day searching for ever more story ideas, and I was actually a lot more productive than I have been from home. However, Salt can also be very distracting. There are so many people to talk to, so many unique brains to pick, stories to hear, and friends to make. The act of simply going to the kitchen to get an apple out of the fridge could lead to a 45 minute-long discussion of interview tactics learned in Sudan or long distance relationships through the ages (LDR's I am told they are called) or that one joke that always sticks with you, that you can never forget. A guy named Tom shared this as his joke of choice: What is a seamonster's favourite meal? ... Fish and Ships!

Here is a short audio clip of my 90-year-old grandmother's favourite joke... always a crowd pleaser!

(I apologize for the poor audio quality... I know what you're thinking, "She is studying radio and she can't even record properly!"... but alas, I was recording on my iPhone, so you take what you can get!)





Short note on Portland history:

For all you history nuts who I am sure having been waiting with bated breath for the valiant story of George Cleeve (aforementioned here) , I have done a little research!

George Cleeve (1586 - sometime after 1666) was the "Founder of Portland, Maine". He came across the pond and settled the now Portland in 1633. In fact, he landed on Richmond Island where John Winter, an agent for merchants in Plymouth (as in the Rock) had set himself up with a pretty sweet deal trading fish and fur with the Native Americans. So when Cleeve tried to move to Richmond Island Winter immediately set him northward, to the thick forests of the mid coast. Cleeve built a house on the land and declared the settlement "Falmouth" (which still exists as a northern suburb) later to be called "Portland".

No word yet on how exactly he relied on the persuasion of words...

1 comment: